Saturday, September 21, 2013

Bustling Life in Yaoundé


I know it’s been a little while since I have blogged; however, life here has been quite busy. I think it’s funny that we are constantly reminded that we are on Cameroonian time and yet I feel like I am busier than I am in America. On the one hand, we are learning so much in class; on the other hand, we are balancing taking advantage of cultural experiences with getting all our work finished on time.
We have had classes about development and history in Cameroon. Two professor have come to give multiple day lectures about these topics. Dr Willibroad Dze-Ngwa came to talk to us about history and development. He is a professor and researcher in political history and international relations at the University of Yaoundé I. He gave wonderful presentations that taught us a lot about colonial influences in Cameroon. This country is so interesting because it was first colonized by Germans, then taken over by the French and the British so we have learned about these effects and tensions. Then we had Dr David Tiomajou who is the training director for PEACE Corps Cameroon come talk to us about development, globalization, and the interaction between the Western and developing world.
These lectures were so interesting. I have learned how complicated globalization is. We may think that globalization is the way to unite the entire world, but the actual process is much more complicated. We have debated the Western influence in the developing world and whether or not foreign influence is a good thing or a bad thing for Cameroon. So often big companies come in and take over and work with the corrupt government which give temporary employment to the locals, but for a very low amount of profit for the country. In terms of how much the Westerners are getting out of the “exchange”, the Africans are getting nothing. Africa, with all it’s incredible natural resources, only contributes 1% to the global market... The Western world is set on the idea that their way (be in education or business wise) is the right way that it doesn’t value the contribution of developing countries because it is focused on making them developed, or really, Westernized. We need to re-evaluation our global influence and start working for an equal system of globalization. Education is key to this process. The old saying is, “catch a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime”. This is the only way, in my opinion, that developing countries are going to take back control. They need to teach their people what is necessary to their country, this does not mean a Western way of teaching always. Why are so many Cameroonians being encouraged to get PhDs in law, when what they really need and what would be profitable, are good plumbers or TV repair men. The Western influence has created Western culture to be the only way and the right way, when Cameroon and other developing countries need to return to their cultural roots in order to take development into their own hands and finally make sizable advances.
Anyway, that is some of what we have been learning about. It really makes me question my future career. How involved should I be in developing countries? Should I focus to more local work in the states because I believe the developing countries need to help themselves? Or should I work to educate them on valuable skills? All these questions and more are why I am so appreciative of this opportunity. It is a life learning experience.
I would also like to add that we have had a few different African dance and drumming classes in these last few weeks. They have been very fun and also difficult. I feel like I am integrating and becoming more and more comfortable with my surroundings. I run alone and take taxis alone now because I know where I’m going and have discovered what is safe and not. I have learned to deal with power cuts, water cuts, muddy sidewalks, and wild driving in addition to all the lessons from class.
We are on the way to Dschang as I am writing this (no internet, just drafting in word processing obviously). We will stay in Dschang, which is the Western region and our most rural home stay experience, for two weeks. Then we will travel to Bamenda, an English speaking region, for a weekend before we return to Yaoundé. In Dschang we will have our classes in the University so I am looking forward to meeting local students who are my age.
I hope to have enough internet access and time to write about my experiences in Dschang, but if not I’ll write again in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Marge! So glad you have this opportunity and can't wait to hear stories when you are back. Keep being the strong and brave woman you are!
    <3 Molls

    ps. your posts are great

    ReplyDelete